Monday, March 23, 2009

Ed Wood



I had seen bits and pieces of Tim Burton’s Ed Wood before, but I had never actually seen the whole thing. But what I had seen from it I really enjoyed, and I planned to see it all the way through at some point. This weekend I finally bumped it to the top of my Netflix Queue, and sat down with it to watch. Incase you didn’t know Ed Wood was a infamous(although maybe not at the time) B-Movie director, who directed such cult classics as, Glen or Glenda, Bride of the Monster, and of course, Plan 9 from Outer Space.

I fell in love with Tim Burton’s Ed Wood within the first five minutes of the movie. Johnny Depp is absolutely incredible as Wood, he brings a energy to the character that just makes you root for him all the way through. There are some really heartfelt moments in the movie that brought me to the verge of tears, these usually happened between Wood and Bela Lugosi portrayed by Martin Landau. I must say, I see it as a huge feet that Burton was able to bring out such an emotional response in me only from this campy cult oddity. It’s probably because I identify with Wood, because I’m just as passionate about film as he was. I broke into tears of joy during the montage of Wood making Plan 9, I was just so proud for the guy. I loved Ed Wood and I definitely recommend you go and see it right now.

No comments: